Friday 6 March 2015

Contemplating life over an ice cube and straw

When a plane touches down there's always a sense of relief that you've made it- I've never felt that so wonderfully than when the plane touched down in Rio, Brazil! 

Having waited 4hrs in miami I had convinced myself that the would be some problem preventing me from reaching the final destination for the beginning of tour. So when the 9hr journey was over and those wheels hit tarmack I was ecstatic. I'd made it to rio- maybe this wasn't too good to be true after all!

I had met a girl on the forum for the tour before we got there so after I got ripped off with a Rio taxi I walked to her hotel to meet. We knew we only had one day in Rio so had to do the obvious- Christ the redeemer! 
Gill and I went and spent 30minutes trying to get selfies and take in the giant and the views of Rio surrounding.

That evening we met the group and I judged books by their covers. Half the group are around 40+ which I hadn't expected. Oh how great they all are- there is a group of 15 of us, and its the greatest laugh ever. Within 24hrs I had been asked to have a vodka night and their all just hilarious! 

Thursday was a day of travelling to Ilha Grande- an island off the coast of Brazil just down from Rio. It was an island of pure beauty and just want to return! It all reminds you a little of Pirates of The carribean with sanded roads and idillic shops on the beach front, with rolling rainforest everywhere on the mountains you can see. We spent a day and a half there, and on one hiked through the rainforest at 9am to visit 3 beaches on the other side of the island. 

A tough hike but so worth the work as the views and beaches were incredible! Rolling white sand that squeeked when you walk on it because its so fine and blue seas with rolling waves. Due to the hike its not massively busy so was a great place to just relax and swim for the whole day- though now a little red! 

Today was a day of travelling to Paraty a colonial town further down the coast! We have walked through the town and now Im sitting in a hammock listening to thunder and rain as there's a tropical storm.

Brazil. Is. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment