Monday 2 March 2015

Last Of Honduras

So on Friday I had my last day at AFE after 1 month of volunteering there! 
Goodbyes are never nice and this wasn't especially because it holds a place in my heart. Having visited before and balled my eyes out I expected to cry lots- though at school I managed to just about hold it in!

The day was a crazy day as they had a team doing activities for them in the morning and then after, a government team was handing out crocs and had set up bouncy castles and popcorn on the campo! Therefore when the presentation had finished the kids had lots on and so I didn't have much time to say goodbye! 

Luckily the presentation provided a little of that opportunity! Every time a team volunteers at AFE on the Friday they all have a 'thankyou' ceremony. Each year group performs a play, dance or song which they perform. After they then create a circle and pray for the team in the middle, and after the count of 3 when finished- a hundred or so run at the team for a group hug! 

All good when there's a group..!
 After they finished the teams celebration they reformed the circle (I thought that was unusual) and then Ruth led me in to the centre!! (Uh-oh) They were saying thankyou to me for my work (I thought I'd be able to slip away!!) and then Ruth prayed for me (that really jerked some tears!). Then, all the kids on the count of 3, RAN at me! 100kids v. 1Emily. I think it's safe to say I squished 10 feet and almost toppled 20 times! 
None the less, after a hug from pretty much every kid, it was a lovely way to say bye to many of the students I had gotten to know over a month! 

Everytime I come here I fall in love with AFE more and more, so I'm already wanting to return asap- probably next year on a student budget!! 

Till next time AFE XX




No comments:

Post a Comment