Sunday 11 January 2015

Volcano Mad

This place is amazing, for the tranquility and people. Nothing is rushed here, everyone meanders down the cobbled streets saying 'Hola' to everyone they pass! The gratitude the people have for the little they have is inspirational to say the least.

I'm in a homestay, with 3 other people who are all American- I've only met 3 people so far from England! Despite that, this is a home away from home! The family are friendly and amazing cooks- eggs, avococado, salsa, frijoles aka beans, bread, tortillas- I could go on but I won't or you'll be hungry! 

If lovely people and good food weren't enough, the view is like the icing on the cake! The house has a roof terrace, overlooking the whole of antigua and the most active volcano in the Americas (I hear) called 'Volcan de Fuego.' It billows smoke at least once everyday, potentially at least every hour or two. Today as I write this I have ash falling on my tablet as its super active! 

Yesterday we climbed another volcano called Pocaya- an active yet sleepy volcano, having last erupted in march of 2014. We didnt quite make it to the crater at the top as it was a day hike, but we did make it to the base of the lava field where flow stopped last year! There we TOASTED MARSHMALLOWS in the lava rock! 

This is a geographers heaven.If I didn't have a love for volcano's before- I do now!!



 Volcan de Fuego billowing smoke! 

 Pocaya Volcano: where the lava flows stopped

 Toasting marshmallows in the Lava rock to make 'smores'!





1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the land of Eternal Spring! Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday Ems. Dunc

    ReplyDelete