Tuesday 6 January 2015

Check in hell but feasting like a king!

You always hope that when you go to the airport,everything go smoothly..you check in, drop your bags go through security and then treat yourself to a bit of duty free, right?

That didn't seem to be the case yesterday though. First at check-in- it said I needed to find a virgin rep about my booking, ok- maybe I'm being upgraded! I could not have been further from the truth. I didn't have an esta, so couldn't fly to america- when I renewed my passport in Nov my last esta was cancelled along with the old passport- something I didn't realise. As someone said to me- the gods were on my side as we panick applied for an esta on a phone and got it by 10.45. 

Back to check in- it worked great! Then we tackled the never ending que of virgin/delta ques as its that time of year. Half way along the que, I look at my boarding pass and it says boarding at 11.10, i had ten minutes to get from bag drop,through security and get to the gate- oh good!! 

If I didn't have cholesterol or heart problems then- I probably do now because of the stress! 

Anyway- made It through after a lot of crying from the goodbyes to very loved ones, and ran to the gate.

Meeting a lovely south African/ american lady from Miami was great- she gave me a tip to get a taxi as its cheaper- at least i think that's what she said! I did anywayanyway as I didn't want to hang around after a 9hr flight!

Getting a cab to the hotel was great fun- I had a driver who liked Spanish guitar music (very fitting!) Who drove like a bit of a maniac but it got me there! There was a lovely little diner across the parking lot so I got some dinner there- and even got 10% off because I have a holiday inn card- result! 

After a great nights sleep in a king I'm now sitting at breakfast stuffing my face before transferring to the airport- gotta make the most of 'free' breakfast!

I'll update when I get to Guatemala! 
E

1 comment:

  1. Well done Em, first hurdles over successfully. Keep up the blogging - great start!

    ReplyDelete