Sunday 8 February 2015

AFE and the Miller

For those who know me well, and maybe those who don't, would laugh if I said I was going to be teaching at AFE. Well go ahead and laugh- as I am! Primary school! 

It was incredibly daunting when we arrived at AFE on Monday morning, and during our induction got told I would be teaching! Its something I have not done before, and was an area I was unsure on! However, it seems to be going OK (touch wood)! 

I teach Calligraphy, Biblioteca all week, as well as an Art and Agropecuaria lesson a week! I have 4/5 lessons a morning each day, until school ends at noon. I'm teaching 2,3,4,5th grade and the classes sizes range from 5 kids to 15! 

Its great fun but also testing, especially because I don't speak much Spanish. The kids seem to understand that and so I'm rather fortunate. 

When I was last at AFE in summer 2012, I became good friends with a particular student called Ruth. We barely spoke then because I knew no Spanish, so I was excited yet apprehensive to return and see if she remembered/recognised me despite the odd letter between us! It was amazing, that during my induction, she recognised me and we had a big hug to say hello and 'I can't believe you came back!' I now teach her 6th grade class. Some students did recognise me so it made me happy and amazed- this school will always have a place in my heart! 

I'm living in a community called Linda Miller, with a family of 2 and another volunteer I got paired with in Guatemala. Its lovely and peaceful, until the dogs start barking! 'There are around 600 people in the Miller, but around 800 dogs!' And it does feel like that, when one barks, they all bark! It can be disturbing at night but I'm sure after a month it will enable me to sleep through almost anything! 

I'll update more later tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. Agropecuaria?? Yeah, it's big in Amersham......
    Keep up the good work, Em.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete